Tuesday, May 23, 2006

A shepherd's journey

I wandered through the desert all morning and forenoon. It felt like I had embraced the embrace of death, like I had wandered into a rain of fire. Up until far ahead all I could see was baked brown earth spread before me, with not a sign of life anywhere. I had set out from home early, to try and find a pasture. Drought had brought my land to a parched pitch-halt. The heat was sweltering and wind had as if entered into an evil collaboration with it. As it blew, it carried all its rage straight into our hearts. The little water left was enough for us to drink and keep selves and bodies together. In the four directions all around, there was nothing but dry broken earth left. The music of the wind raging through the day sounded like the song of death. Nights brought no cheer. Clouds too brought none, they just sneaked past our heads high up in the sky. Today I needed to find a pasture, if my cattle was to survive. So I left home, left early today. I had to find something before all of them died. They had already started dying, one by one. So I wandered on.

No comments: